Announcements and Shenanigans! 
Thank you so much for coming to our Back to School night this past Tuesday!  Hopefully you enjoyed seeing and hearing all about our class and the fun we plan to have this year together!
I am very pleased with the positive start to our nightly reading homework.  Is is so much fun to see the books the children are choosing to read.  Thank you for expecting these first graders to be responsible for writing their own titles & responses on the reading logs.  They have done a wonderful job of remembering to bring them back each day.  It will definitely build independence and confidence in their abilities as a student!

This week, we had our first counselor meeting with Mrs. Hougham. She came and spoke all about how to be welcoming to others and how we can become a SHINE classroom!

We also had our first Spanish class with Senorita Carolina! The kids loved getting to practice their Spanish skills.

This week, we continued to work on addition in math workshop. The kids were shocked when I asked them to do their math on our group table. They had a lot of fun, practicing their skills. We have been busy building our writing folder full of ideas for when we get stuck at writing stories as well as building our reading stamina!

CAFETERIA SNACKS:
With our eager first grade buyers, the enticing lunch snacks that are available in the cafeteria can quickly deplete their lunch funds.  These are items that are not included in the lunch meal price: cookies, pop tarts, etc. Please email or send a written note with your child if you are okay with a snack. Please indicate how often this is allowed. If I do not hear from your family, I will know that you do not want your child purchasing snacks.  Thanks so much!

FALL CONFERENCES:
Thank you for signing up for a fall conference time! This week in the Tuesday folder, I will send home a conference form for you to complete.   Under the “P” section (parent) of “Areas of Strength”, place a check mark by 2 or 3 areas that best describe your child.  Under the “P” section of “Areas of Improvement”, place a check mark by 3 areas that need strengthening.  Once I have received your completed forms, I will fill in the “T” (teacher) sections.  Please note that the “Goals” section will be finished during our conference time. Please return your completed form to me by Friday, September 28th so that I may prepare for our meeting.
STAR OF THE WEEK: Our Star of the Week is Blake!  We look forward to learning more about our special classmate!

FIRST GRADE REMINDER:
How many of you look at your child’s work each week when the Tuesday folder comes home?  If you did not start this practice in Kindergarten, now is the perfect time to begin!  This is an excellent way to spend quality time with your child, and gain an insight into what she/he is doing at school.  Keep in mind that only work done independently is graded.

SCHOOL NEWS:
RRISD requires any person volunteering (i.e., field trips, classroom, cafeteria, library, WatchDog Dads, etc.) to submit a Name Based Criminal History Check each school year. The online application is available at https://partners.roundrockisd.org/volunteer/or linked from the Canyon Creek home page. Please take time to complete and submit the application early. This application needs to be done each school year by every adult in the household wanting to volunteer.
THIS WEEK AT A GLANCE…

READING:

– Continue to build Reading Workshop expectations, systems, and procedures
– Practice reading short vowel words
– Retell a story using the beginning/middle/end
– Begin reading groups
WRITING:
– Create idea pages in writing folders: I Love; Things I Can Do; Places I’ve Been
– Practice using capital letters at the beginning of sentences and punctuation at the end
– Journal writing
– Practice stretching a small moment across the pages
– Work on handwriting
Words Study & Grammar:
– Review short vowel sounds
– Capitalizing names of people (students learn to distinguish between common and proper nouns)
MATH:
– Use objects and pictorial models to solve problems involving the joining and separating of two numbers
– Continue to build Math Workshop expectations, systems, and procedures
SCIENCE:
– Finish learning about Texas symbols: Alamo
– Understand how properties are used to identify and describe objects and materials
– Understand how objects can be compared and classified based on observable properties
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
September 20 – Fall Picture Day
September 25 – Family Wellness Night
October 8 – Parent/Teacher Conferences; student holiday
October 9 – Professional Development for staff; student holiday

Have a great week and stay dry!